Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
On Earth testing of the moss
Domagoj Offline

RE: On Earth testing of the moss
The plan is to harvest the spores of some moss. I have no idea which and even after I find the candidate, I'm no biologist, I'll have no idea what I have. In the absence of better reason to pick one over another, the main criteria will be the shape and size of adult moss.
I took a closer look at the moss I have in my garden, but none has sporophytes, so I'm not sure what to make of it.

After I have the spores I plan to plant 6 samples for the clinostat, plus additional few as control, further I will try several methods of drying the spores and see how they behave once rehydrated after some time. I'll also have to multiply it in case we need to repeat the experiment, or decide to fly this species.
I still have to think about the soil, but just regular garden thing should work, I suppose. I might dig up some from the location of my spore harvest.

However, I will let the clinostat to spin for a few days to see if the motors die. They are small and cheap little things and I wouldn't be too surprised if they fail soon.
On the other hand, they are usually installed in air conditioning units to move that flap up and down, so they should have longish life. I am driving them at lower than specified voltage too, to reduce heat production, and they are not really loaded too much.

In any case, I won't be able to do much for the next several days, since the day after tomorrow I'll be going on a business trip till Sunday.
08-20-2015 08:11 AM
Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
cdugas4 Offline

The conditions just might not be right for the moss to produce spores right now. Identifying them might help you find information on their lifecycle.
08-20-2015 11:20 AM
NERVAfan Offline

I wonder what you would see if you put already-growing moss in the clinostat? Would the direction of growth change?
09-14-2015 09:07 AM
cdugas4 Offline

One of my contacts from LSU who now teaches at another university sent out a mass email to his horticulture department looking for help. Hopefully it gives us some leads.
09-15-2015 08:29 AM
Halo_003 Offline

I am at University of Florida so if all else fails I can try to see if anyone here would know anything on it, shoot me a PM if needed.
09-17-2015 02:06 PM