Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Potentially relevant moss info
NERVAfan Offline

RE: Potentially relevant moss info
Maybe they are masses of spores, then. The bent ends of those red sporophytes might be the capsules - the picture isn't quite zoomed in enough for me to tell.

You should collect the orange maybe-spores, then, and see if you can get a closer image of just the capsule/spore part (tip of the sporophyte).
03-10-2016 07:38 AM
Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
Exploro Offline

I'll see what I can do.
03-30-2016 09:42 AM
Exploro Offline

I attempted to obtain a sample but it is very cumbersome. The stalks kept slipping out of the tweezers or the wrong stalk wound up getting grabbed. Also just trying to hold onto the sporophyte caused the moss patch to get lifted up and shifted around the vermiculite. I've postponed getting a sample until a better means of getting a sporophyte without causing damage to the moss patch itself can be found.
(This post was last modified: 04-07-2016 10:30 AM by Exploro.)
04-07-2016 10:29 AM
Exploro Offline

Update: The moss is more or less brown; save for a few pieces that are still predominately green. This however is not a bad thing. The lawns and sidewalks in my neighborhood have moss patches that are yellow, brown, and even brick red; yet they are thriving and many large patches have exhibited sporophyte formation. There for the color is likely not of major concern. Nearly all the brown pieces are still showing sporophyte development.

Which bring me to the present development. Recall I mentioned the presence of orange structures on the tips of sporophytes on several patches of moss. I've identified what they are. The structures are operculum; or lids to the capasules atop the sporophyte.

[Image: 109663-004-FBDC60F3.jpg]

Thus I think we may be where we need to be in terms of extracting sporophyte capsules.

Interestingly on a somewhat related note; recall there were a half dozen or so patches we had thought were dead back in January? I decided to clean out the bin I had them stored in since that time on Friday night. When I took the lid of the container I saw that the moss was still green in many places and that most of the sporophytes on these pieces also had these operculum. This was incredibly surprising find.
04-26-2016 01:17 AM
NERVAfan Offline

OK, sounds good!

Apologies for being away so long... a lot has happened in RL recently.
04-28-2016 08:13 AM
cdugas4 Offline

Any new news? I know I haven't posted in a while, but I've been here every few days. RL doesn't leave me time to daydream and troubleshoot designs anymore...
05-17-2016 02:14 PM
Exploro Offline

To reiterate information from my previous post. The sporophytes on the primary moss patches are now beginning to feature operculum; the orange cap structure depicted in the diagram. As this appears to be the stage prior to the spores being released I think were are nearing the stage where we might want to consider extracting the capsules from the sporophytes.
05-17-2016 11:19 PM