Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Program Repository
MBobrik Offline

RE: Program Repository
(02-10-2015 06:48 AM)HenryRasia Wrote:  Which I assume means it didn't run? BTW I created an empty project for this, should I have created a Win32 application or something?

You need all files in the project because they refer to each other even though a lot of them are just placeholders. As I said, you should clone the whole repository to some local folder of yours. Can be even the visual studio project folder itself.

When started, it should open a console window and write it slowly full with dots, each representing 200 simulation steps. When it ends, the sim debug output is in the result.txt file.

(02-10-2015 06:48 AM)HenryRasia Wrote:  PS Damn those 400 lines of 3D math look complicated. Is that, like, simple stuff where you study? Tongue

Well, that is just basic vector & matrix maths, addition, subtraction multiplication, stuff. It's not difficult ... just tedious. you can write M*N on the paper, but if you want to make the code reasonably fast, you have to write all 27 multiplications and 18 additions for 3x3 matrices explicitly.
(This post was last modified: 02-10-2015 08:52 AM by MBobrik.)
02-10-2015 08:51 AM
Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
HenryRasia Offline

OK, managed to get all files in (not automatic from github, and won't stay updated, but definitely something we can live with).

I see the console with the dots (congrats on the fast code, BTW, unless that's an error Confused). But the output log says this:

Code:
'MossSatSim.exe' (Win32): Loaded 'C:\Users\Henrique\Documents\Visual Studio 2013\Projects\MossSatSim\Debug\MossSatSim.exe'. Symbols loaded.
'MossSatSim.exe' (Win32): Loaded 'C:\Windows\SysWOW64\ntdll.dll'. Cannot find or open the PDB file.
'MossSatSim.exe' (Win32): Loaded 'C:\Windows\SysWOW64\kernel32.dll'. Cannot find or open the PDB file.
'MossSatSim.exe' (Win32): Loaded 'C:\Windows\SysWOW64\KernelBase.dll'. Cannot find or open the PDB file.
'MossSatSim.exe' (Win32): Loaded 'C:\Windows\SysWOW64\msvcp120d.dll'. Cannot find or open the PDB file.
'MossSatSim.exe' (Win32): Loaded 'C:\Windows\SysWOW64\msvcr120d.dll'. Cannot find or open the PDB file.
The program '[8892] MossSatSim.exe' has exited with code 0 (0x0).

That's still a lot of missing PDB files IMO, but if it works it works, I guess. Also, no sign of the results showing up. Did you delete the results.txt file?

We choose to go to the Moon and do the other things not because they are easy but because they are hard. -JFK
02-10-2015 09:58 AM
MBobrik Offline

That is normal. PDB files are just debug info for the debugger. You don't need them to run the exe. And they are generally not provided for the windows kernel dlls themselves. Windows ain't open source.
results.txt was comitted just by mistake as it is not a source file , but just debug prints of the program. When your program runs, it should generate a new results.txt looking like

Code:
RPM :    3.82 Rot2Sun angle :    96.4185 Rot2Sat angle :    12.9605
RPM :    3.82 Rot2Sun angle :    96.4754 Rot2Sat angle :    12.9693
RPM :    3.82 Rot2Sun angle :    96.5228 Rot2Sat angle :    12.9784
POS : (   -2204599.044,    3892363.940,    5086876.261)
RPM :   3.819 Rot2Sun angle :  96.560686 Rot2Sat angle :  12.987622
02-10-2015 10:09 AM
HenryRasia Offline

Oh yes. I found the file. However, where is it created? Because right now I just have it sitting in the source files and reupdating it every time the program runs.

Other than that, it runs perfectly. No worries there

PS. Also, 20100 lines of results in under a second. I wonder how much will change when we add probability of solar storm and stuff like that.

We choose to go to the Moon and do the other things not because they are easy but because they are hard. -JFK
02-10-2015 10:14 AM
MBobrik Offline

(02-10-2015 09:58 AM)HenryRasia Wrote:  OK, managed to get all files in (not automatic from github, and won't stay updated, but definitely something we can live with).

Why ? is the github app not working ? Mine got up just fine. Maybe you are behind a firewall... I tried it at work and it did not connect because of that.
Found some info on StackOverflow... tomorrow I will try again with this.
(This post was last modified: 02-10-2015 10:22 AM by MBobrik.)
02-10-2015 10:14 AM
MBobrik Offline

(02-10-2015 10:14 AM)HenryRasia Wrote:  Oh yes. I found the file. However, where is it created? Because right now I just have it sitting in the source files and reupdating it every time the program runs.

That is the way it is supposed to work. As I said, it's just some debug logging to see that the program does something. Simulation evaluation and statistics, perhaps some graphs, that all has to be implemented yet.

(02-10-2015 10:14 AM)HenryRasia Wrote:  PS. Also, 20100 lines of results in under a second. I wonder how much will change when we add probability of solar storm and stuff like that.

Yea it's fast when nothing is computed. We shall see when stuff like illumination computing, the algorithm itself, and some fancy statistics is implemented ... ;-)
02-10-2015 10:21 AM
Newt Offline
Flying Buttress

Currently, my computer is not doing very well at all, and I am attempting to install an new OS and software from scratch. Hopefully this should go smoothly, and I will be able to start pitching in on this at that time. In the meantime I am just browsing the skeleton.

As for the math, tedious indeed, I remember coding my vector based orbital simulations for 3D, with many different lines.

About keeping things in sync with each other, should we break things down so that each person does not get in each other's way? I suppose that the github may keep this fairly organized if all goes well with it, but we should still avoid editing the same things at the same time (such that one persons plans for adding to a particular section do not run into anyone else's)?
02-10-2015 03:57 PM
MBobrik Offline

(02-10-2015 03:57 PM)Newt Wrote:  As for the math, tedious indeed, I remember coding my vector based orbital simulations for 3D, with many different lines.

Well, I hope that using the 3D functions from the Math3D reduces that tedium to a minimum.

(02-10-2015 03:57 PM)Newt Wrote:  About keeping things in sync with each other, should we break things down so that each person does not get in each other's way? I suppose that the github may keep this fairly organized if all goes well with it, but we should still avoid editing the same things at the same time (such that one persons plans for adding to a particular section do not run into anyone else's)?

Git is usually very good at merging stuff together, but to avoid stuff like implementing the very same function twice, we should just write what we intend to work on. Either here or by opening an issue on the github. For example I am going to tackle the LightComputer now.
02-10-2015 04:58 PM
cactus Offline
Friend of all osmotrophic autotrophs

Github is a pretty good choice if we are going to keep our code public (and I see no reason not to).

As for coordinating, the merging is done by git, and github has the issue tracker which is a very handy way of deciding who does what. Basic algorithm:

First, Add everyone working on the software as a contributor to the repo.
Then, For any thing that needs to be done:
0. Post an issue about it.
1. Mark it with a pre-determined label for stuff to do.
2. Assign whoever is going to do it to the issue.
3a. Code away.
3b. Discuss anything relevant to the thing being done in the issue comments, including specifics, splitting the work between those assigned if there are several people et cetera.
02-10-2015 07:04 PM
HenryRasia Offline

(02-10-2015 10:14 AM)MBobrik Wrote:  Why ? is the github app not working ? Mine got up just fine. Maybe you are behind a firewall... I tried it at work and it did not connect because of that.

It means that I had to download the files as a zip, unzip them into the visual studio project folder, and them add them as existing files into the solution. The process is not exhausting by any means, but as I said it's manual and doesn't link directly to github. Therefore it also doesn't sync and stay up to date. I still feel, however, that I'm just missing something. If anyone knows please let me know.

(02-10-2015 10:21 AM)MBobrik Wrote:  Yea it's fast when nothing is computed. We shall see when stuff like illumination computing, the algorithm itself, and some fancy statistics is implemented ... ;-)

Oh, in that case, that's so slow! Tongue

@cactus Github also has branch control, so we don't even have to worry about stepping on eachother's toes. Also, there's the milestone system that's like setting goals and assigning people to them. So that's even better than using the issue system.

02-10-2015 07:37 PM